Singaporeans never owned our HDB flats, never will. In every legal document, HDB flat buyers are stated as “lessees” which is the legally correct term. But due to 5 decades of propaganda, “lessees” have been brainwashed into believing they are “owners”.
HDB flat buyers have therefore been scammed big time by PAP which continues to have total control over ALL HDB FLATS.
A reader has now informed me that HDB has replaced the term “lessee” with “purchaser” and dropped the term “lessor” from a document.
Below are his much appreciated comments.
“HDB has recently sneakily removed the term “LESSEE” from the Agreement For Lease and replaced it with “PURCHASER”. It has also dropped the term “Lessor” from this document.
When you buy a HDB flat, there are 3 legal instruments (or documents) you need to sign:-
1. Agreement For Lease (mainly a contract between HDB & you)
2. The Lease
3. Memorandum Of Lease (conditions for the lease e.g. keeping the flat in good condition, allowing HDB staff or contractors to enter & inspect the flat, not to sublet without permission, not to throw anything out the windows, etc etc)
Documents #2 and #3 are “higher” priority, as the info must be registered with SLA in the Land Registry. Hence for now, both these documents still use “LESSEE” and “LESSOR”.
1. Sample Agreement for Lease: http://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/doc/specimen-afl
2. Sample Lease: http://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/specimen-lease
3. Sample Memorandum of Lease: http://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/specimen-memorandum-of-lease”
Please share and stop being fooled. 🙂